Friday, June 25, 2004

I seem to be working my way through a serious crisis of faith. It's come about for a number of reasons.

My daily bible reading (courtesy of Scripture Union) is taking me through the early chapters of the Acts of the Apostles. It could be argued that the major player who dominates the action is not Peter but the Holy Spirit. To me it is inescapable that the presence of the Holy Spirit can be felt. Nobody has to argue that every believer receives the Holy Spirit. Rather, people remark that the Holy Spirit has been poured out, because they see something happening. This is in contrast to our day to day religious experience, where, basically, nothing happens.

Several weeks ago, I caught a cold. I'm still coughing, with a sore throat. Typically, I catch a cold, argue for a few days with God - why doesn't he heal me? - but it goes, and I carry on. This one hasn't gone (or, if it has, it's left a legacy). I'm still suffering. Not much, of course. You'll think that I'm whingeing. I'm not. It's OK. It's just that day after day I'm reminded that nowadays God does not heal. At least, not in the spectacular way in which he healed in the time of the Gospels, and in the time of the Acts of the Apostles.

Maybe I've got stuck in some unhealthy patterns of behaviour. I simply do not have a regular opportunity to pray in a traditional manner. I've tried alternatives, such as transcribing my prayers on to a handheld computer. But this highlights the situation - communication with God seems to be happening in one direction. Possibly, writing my prayers down has misrepresented reality. Perhaps, when I pray, quietly, alone, uninterrupted, God speaks to me as I pray. I hear him, without hearing an actual voice. I sense his presence.

But what can I do?

No comments: