Sunday, November 11, 2007

Confronting the darkness


To-day, of course, was Remembrance Day. Our girl is in the Girl Guides, and our boy is in the Beavers. Both were parading this day - a day which, thankfully, was bright and clear, made bitterly cold by a north wind. There was a short service to accompany the laying of wreaths at the war memorial, and then we proceeded to the parish church, which is the church that we normally go to (except that normally our son doesn't want to go, so one of us stays at home with him while the other goes with our daughter to church).

I observed the words on the lectern fall as we waited for people to file out of church. It was something like 'light in the darkness', and there was a bible reference, possibly 1 John 1:6. I feel that there is a lot of darkness surrounding us these days, so much darkness that the light struggles to survive. Perhaps I should take heart, though, from this morning's self portrait, taken as I faced the morning light. And remember, from the bible, John 1:5 (ESV):
The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I can understand being tired (I've been doing 10-12 hour work days + after work activities)but not as tired as you seem to be, even with your work & children etc. Are you run down in other ways? Or have you ever thought whether you might have Seasonal Affective Disorder?(or whatever its called). I think maybe you should get this checked out - you seem far too tired. I got a natural light alarm clock & it really helped me.