Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Consistency

You are waiting at the bus stop. Your bus pulls up, behind another bus which is already at the bus stop, taking on passengers. What do you do? Recently, I walked to my bus, and waved at the driver to let me on. He shook his head at me, as if to say that I had done something naughty. I know, you are supposed to wait at the bus stop for your bus to arrive.

This evening, I saw my bus approaching. Another bus was at the stop, so I waited patiently. My bus disgorged some passengers, then pulled out. Angry, frightened, cold, tired, lonely, I raced after the bus. More in desperation than hope, I kept running to the next stop. As it happened, there was another bus just behind, which would also get me home. If anything, I became more desperate - if I'd waited at the original stop I would have caught this other bus, but now it was ahead of me. God was with me, I suppose, because what followed was entirely fortuitious. The bus which I now wanted to catch switched on its hazard warning lights. Passengers were alighting, and getting on to another bus in front. I arrived, totally out of breath; the driver said, "Don't give yourself a heart attack." I explained that the bus which I'd wanted to catch hadn't waited. Thankfully, this driver was kindly, and pointed out that I would still get to my destination.

So, what should I do in future? Walk along to my bus, and risk being told off? Or wait, and risk being left at the bus stop?

No comments: