Saturday, October 23, 2004

The story so far
My wife and children are travelling from Perth. Their train was due to arrive in Edinburgh at 18:14. I was planning to meet them, arriving in the car at Waverley Station at around 17:50. Traffic on the way had been light. I had to give myself time to work out which platform the train would arrive on. I discovered that Network Rail were going to charge me 50p for half an hour, or £2 for an hour. Subsequent hours would cost £20 (not a misprint).

It turned out that the train was expected at 18:41. I calculated that there was a definite possibility that if I waited in the station to meet my wife and children, it would cost me £22. Network Rail, it seems, fines its customers for the late arrival of trains.

I did the only thing I could in the circumstances. I went back to the car, drove out the station, paying 50p, and found a parking place in a side street.

No comments: