Saturday, July 20, 2013

knife edge

Honest to God has a chapter on prayer / in it, John Robinson quotes extensively from George macLeod, founder of the Iona Community / so, what is prayer ...

is it like picking up the telephone, and dialling God / if so, I would contend, we are in for disappointment (that's my experience, anyway) / hi there, God, this is Chas / silence / I'm having a tough time at work / more silence / I wondered if you could give me some advice / yet more silence ...

a bad line, perhaps / maybe he's busy / try again later (I'm reminded of Elijah taunting the prophets of Baal on mount Carmel, as they try desperately to get their god to respond) ...

I think that what John Robinson is suggesting is that everything is prayer / laborare est orare, as we were told at school that the Romans used to say to each other / that, as we wrestle practically with the issues, we find God / I'm not entirely convinced / but it's better than sitting in silence ...

No comments: