Saturday, November 24, 2007

An adventure

I've felt for a while that our son gets a raw deal on Saturdays. Our daughter goes to a ballet class in the morning, and a drama class at lunchtime, and the day tends to be structured around getting her to her classes. Our son generally elects to be at home when he can, and when I'm at home I'm generally trying to catch up on stuff that's on my desk. I feel that I should be spending time with my boy, but it really isn't happening.

So when one of his friends wanted to come round, I was inclined to be sympathetic. But my wife doesn't want visiting children in the house, so it seemed that it just wasn't going to happen. Then I thought of taking the two of them (our son and his friend) out for lunch at Luca's, which is what we did to-day. I think that it went reasonably well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well done you. If your son is anywhere on the ASpergers scale too (which you mentioned you thought he might be) he might have difficulty with friendships as he gets older, so keeping the ones he has is very important. Maybe some negotiation with wife too? Visiting children with plenty of notice? I truly wish my son had friends who would visit the house.